Congratulations! You’re newly-engaged and have also decided that hiring a professional wedding consultant is the wisest investment you can make on your wedding. You know that an experienced wedding planner can actually save you time and money on one of the most complex events you will ever host in your life. But with many choices and many inexperienced individuals hoping to make some extra money calling themselves “wedding consultants”, what are the top qualities you should look for when interviewing and making your final decision? Here are our top recommendations:
- Experience. This is more than just number of years in business; it also is based on references- not just prior clients but talking to the events community and fellow event partners, too, to round out a whole picture of the wedding consultant.
- Professionalism & Manners. Because a wedding is all about the gracious art of hosting, working with all types of personalities and difficulties, as well as being able to counsel the engaged couple in etiquette, your wedding consultant should have high standards for professionalism and manners. This is evident in written and oral skills, how they respond to inquiries in a timely manner and much more. If they are certified or credited with any professional credentials, this is a solid indicator of a professional wedding consultant as well.
- Well-rounded. A truly experienced professional wedding consultant understands all the facets of a well-produced wedding. It is not just about “pretty design” and personal touches; it is also knowing how all the big decisions for layout and all the vendor services tie together (and how they affect each other) for a seamless production overall.
- Integrity. No wedding coordinator should ever accept kick-backs from event partners. This is your wedding day and a professional always has your best interests at heart. If he/she is referring you to the event partner (vendor) who provides him/her with the biggest incentive, then they do not have your best interest at heart. Ask if they accept kick-backs. The best ones do not. And they know that they do not need to to be successful.
- They simply “click” with you. Look, you will be working very closely with your planner for up to a year (in some cases longer). How you feel about working with them, their personality, and how they will represent you to other event partners is paramount. You have to like them.
Working with the right wedding planner – and enjoying the process- is essential. Planning a wedding can be a fun, creative process and true professionals know how to make it happen. We welcome the opportunity to interview with you and find out if we may be a mutual match for planning your wedding. Let us know how we can help!